UPSC − Overview
Civil Services is the backbone of Indian governance which constitutes all Ministries of their departments. One of the most challenging competitive exams in India if not the entire world, it is conducted by Union Public Service Commission. The prestige, power, charm, and responsibility that comes along with top jobs like IAS, IFS, IPS etc are a definite reason for anyone to choose Civil services as a career option Shankar IAS Academy, Anna Nagar Chennai is proud to have helped aspirants achieve their goals in these esteemed services.
Structure / Course of the examination
- Civil Services Examinations is essentially 3-tiered, namely Preliminary examination, Mains Examinations, and Interview / Personality test.
The Preliminary Examination is conducted usually during May/June of every year. It consists of two papers - one to be attended in the forenoon and the other in the Afternoon of the same day. In the Forenoon session, General Studies Paper - I, a set of multiple choice questions is to be answered by the applicants. In the afternoon session, Civil Services Aptitude Test / General Studies - II is held.
The candidates who qualify for Mains have to choose two optionals which have two papers each. Totally the aspirants are to appear in nine papers, details of which is given below
|General Studies||Paper - I||300|
|Paper - II||300|
|Optional I||Paper - I||300|
|Paper - II||300|
|Optional II||Paper - I||300|
|Paper - II||300|
|* Regional Language||-||300|
* Qualifying Papers
The exams are usually conducted during October / November months of every year.
Interview / Personality Test
Candidates who qualify for Interview / Personality are required to attend the Interview / Personality Test in UPSC, New Delhi The Maximum marks for Interview / Personality are 300. These tests are conducted during March / April months of every year.
The final results are published on-line a week or fortnight before the next preliminary Examination.
List of services
- Indian Administrative Service.
- Indian Foreign Service.
- Indian Police Service.
- Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise), Group 'A'.
- Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Revenue Service (I.T.), Group 'A'.
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group 'A' (Assistant Works Manager, Administration).
- Indian Postal Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group 'A'.
- Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force, Group 'A'
- Indian Defence Estates Service, Group 'A'.
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Group 'A'.
- Indian Trade Service, Group 'A' (Gr. III).
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group "A".
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group 'B' (Section Officer's Grade).
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group 'B'.
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service, Group 'B'.
- Pondicherry Civil Service, Group 'B'.
- Pondicherry Police Service, Group 'B'.
Reservation will be made for candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes. Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes and Physically Disabled Categories in respect of vacancies as may be fixed by the Government.
UPSC COURSE SCHEDULE 2013 - 2014
|S.No.||Subject||Date Of Commencement||Duration||Timings||Class Days|
|1.||PRELIM CUM MAIN BATCH-1||12.06.2013||JUNE TO MAY||9.00 AM - 1.00 PM||MONDAY TO FRIDAY|
|2.||PRELIM CUM MAIN BATCH-2||03.07.2013||JUNE TO MAY||2.00 PM - 6.00 PM||MONDAY TO FRIDAY|
|3.||GS WEEK END-PRELIMINARY ONLY @ ANNA NAGAR||14.07.2013||JUNE TO MAY||2.00 PM - 8.00 PM||SATURDAY AND SUNDAY|
|4.||GS WEEK END-PRELIMINARY ONLY @ ADYAR||15.06.2013||JUNE TO MAY||2.00 PM - 8.00 PM||SATURDAY AND SUNDAY|
|5.||v. GS MAINS CRASH COURSE-3 DAYS PER WEEK||12.06.2013||JUNE TO NOVEMBER||5.00 PM - 8.00 PM||MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY|
|1.||GEOGRAPHY BATCH-1 (REGULAR)-2 DAYS ONLY- OLD STUDENTS||12.06.2013||JUNE TO SEPTEMBER||2.00 PM - 6.00 PM||MONDAY AND FRIDAY|
|2.||GEOGRAPHY BATCH-2 (WEEKEND)-2 DAYS ONLY-NEW COMERS||15.06.2013||JUNE TO SEPTEMBER||9.00 AM - 1.00 PM||SATURDAY AND SUNDAY|
|3.||PUBLIC ADMINISTRATIONREGULAR-5 DAYS||12.06.2013||JUNE TO SEPTEMBER||2.00 PM - 4.30 PM||MONDAY TO FRIDAY|
|4.||POLITICAL SCIENCE-WEEKEND 2 DAYS ONLY||15.06.2013||JUNE TO SEPTEMBER||2.00 PM - 6.00 PM||SATURDAY AND SUNDAY|
|5.||SOCIOLOGY-WEEKEND- 2 DAYS ONLY||15.06.2013||JUNE TO DECEMBER||9.00 AM - 1.00 PM||SATURDAY AND SUNDAY|
|6.||TAMIL LITERATURE-WEEK END||15.06.2013||JUNE TO SEPTEMBER||5.00 PM - 7.00 PM||SATURDAY AND SUNDAY|
|7.||CSAT-WEEKEND||15.06.2013||JUNE TO AUGUST||9.00 AM - 1.15 PM||SATURDAY AND SUNDAY|
1.Course duration is subject to change.
2. Class timing is subject to change.
3. Class timings may be extended to cover the syllabus within stipulated time.
4. General Studies programme consist of 5 days Lecturing and one day Test and Discussion.
|S.No.||Subject||Course Fee||Service Tax @12.36%||TOTAL FEE|
|1||GS (Preliminary Cum Main)||40050||4950||45000|
|2||GS (Weekend) - Preliminary||20025||2475||22500|
|3||Gs Main Crash Course (New Syllabus Only)#||14062||1738||15800|
|5||GS (Preliminary Cum Main) + CSAT - Integrated offer*||46992||5808||52800|
|6||GS (Weekend) - Preliminary + CSAT - Integrated offer*||27056||3344||30400|
SIA Special offer
* Students those who select integrated course for GS and CSAT will get discount amount of Rs.3,000/- from their course fee.
# SIA Old students who select GS MAIN CRASH COURSE will get discount amount of Rs.2,000/-